- For the very first time, guests can spend the night in the Parisian opera house that inspired the record-breaking musical, The Phantom of the Opera
- To celebrate the global success of The Phantom of the Opera, the Palais Garnier will open its doors for a majestic stay in the lavishly transformed Box of Honour
- As part of Airbnb’s commitment to heritage tourism in Europe, the traditional Palais Garnier opera boxes will be fully restored to retain their 19th century historical splendor
Kuala Lumpur, 14 February 2023 – ‘The Music of the Night’ is returning to the place that inspired one of the world’s longest running and most-loved musicals, The Phantom of the Opera. To celebrate the global phenomenon that will be performed in 15 countries in 2023, including a final bow on Broadway, ‘phans’ will be able to follow in the footsteps of le Fantôme and book a night in the mythical underworld where it all began – the historic Palais Garnier Opera in Paris.
For the first time, one of the most exclusive private viewing areas in the theater, the Box of Honour, has been transformed into a majestic bedroom, where guests will spend an exceptional night, befitting the mysteries and architectural splendor of the Palais Garnier. Guests will also get to ‘haunt’ the halls of the iconic building, including a visit to the real underground lake, home of the Phantom, featured in the famous novel.
The Host of the stay, Véronique Leroux, is the great-granddaughter of French novelist Gaston Leroux who created the world-famous phantom character.
“My great-grandfather’s classic story has inspired so many people through the years,” Leroux said.
“This is the perfect time to honor him and welcome ‘phans’ to the famous setting of his much-loved novel for a once-in-a-lifetime stay.”
Airbnb’s commitment to heritage
This special night at Palais Garnier is the latest heritage offering from Airbnb following a series of measures and commitments by the platform to revitalize heritage tourism in Europe, including heritage donations to historical home organizations across Europe.
As part of this programme, Airbnb is offering its support to the restoration and enhancement of the Opera’s heritage, including an ongoing project to restore the Palais Garnier boxes. Airbnb’s contribution will also fund the development of the Opera’s streaming platform, bringing together all of the Paris Opera’s audiovisual content to a wide audience, all over the world.
About the stay
Guests will sleep in the largest opera box in the Palais Garnier – the Box of Honour – a room normally reserved for visiting dignitaries. The exquisite chamber has been transformed for an exclusive guest experience that includes:
- The best location in the house to take in the architectural beauty of the Palais Garnier and its stage.
- A tour of hidden areas in the Palais, rarely seen by the public, including the Opera’s incredible private archives and famous underground lake.
- A private ballet initiation with one of the Opera de Paris Ballet dancers.
- An exclusive recital performed by the artists of Paris Opera Academy, complete with champagne and hors d’oeuvres.
- Dinner in the lavish Foyer de la Danse, a private and historic dancing rehearsal room behind the stage, used by dancers for warming up before a show.
- A tour of the private dance studios underneath the eaves of the iconic opera building where guests will enjoy picturesque views of the Paris skyline.
How to book
Phans may request to book the overnight stay on Wednesday, March 1st 2023 from 6:00 PM CET at airbnb.com/opera. The stay will take place on Sunday, July 16th, 2023. This one night stay will cost 37 euros* (approximately RM 165), in honor of the Box of Honour’s number. Let the dream begin!
To request to book, the booking guest must have a verified Airbnb profile, a good track record on the platform and be aged 18+. Maximum occupancy is two persons. Guests are responsible for their own transportation to and from Paris, France.
The Phantom of the Opera musical
Since opening in London in 1986, The Phantom of the Opera has played to over 145 million people in 183 cities in 17 languages The Phantom of the Opera has run for over 36 years in the West End and on Broadway. It is Broadway’s longest running show and has received over 70 major theater awards, including seven Tony Awards and four Olivier awards. A Global Edition of the soundtrack was released in 2022, featuring Andrew Lloyd Webber’s beloved soundtrack in full in seven global languages, and a special eight compilation disc.
The Phantom of the Opera will be performed in 15 countries, across 4 continents and in 7 languages in 2023. To book tickets and find out where Phantom is playing near you visit: www.thephantomoftheopera.com.